Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Blood Drive...

So today after my first class, I headed to the blood drive bus to meet my friend.  When I got there, I saw that she had already started, so I hurried with the paper work and iron tests and blood pressure and temperature tests.  I was in a hurry mainly because I had a class at 1:00 P.M. which gave me about an hour, but it started getting busy.  I sat in one of the big recliner chairs and she hooked me up quick and got the blood flowing! She gave me a little squishy shoe to hold and release every 5 to 10 seconds.  Now I normally am calm and relaxed when doing this, but I was so worried about being late that I squeezed that shoe like it was my job and the bag filled quick.  I would like to say that I do find it important to give blood, and I do when I can because I was told that my blood is used for babies because it is compatible with them.  I'm saving babies!!!  So the woman wrapped me up and let me go, but on the way out I started to feel dizzy and white speckles surrounded my peripheral vision.  My friend asked if I was okay, and I sat down and said that I didn't think so.  She handed me a juice and everything started turning more and more white and the sounds in the room became quiet.  She became worried and told me to start naming my brothers and I said in which order and she said youngest to oldest. I said the first ones name, and then she asked for the second.  At that point, I had a dream about my second oldest brother.  We were talking about something, but I can't remember what.  I woke up suddenly and two women from the blood bus and my friend were staring at me, all asking me if I could hear or see them.  I thought I had still been sitting in the chair, so I was wondering how everyone was looking down at me.  But then I realized I was on the floor! They covered me with an ice pack on the chest and one around my neck and sat me up.  I felt fine at that point but they decided to keep me for 10 more minutes, which consisted of drinking liquids, eating two cookies, talking to them about what happened, and having my blood pressure taken 5 times.  They finally let me go and I ended up being able to take my test later.  I still feel a little dizzy and if my head could make noises it would be going WHOOSH! YAY! I SAVED SOME BABIES!  

No comments:

Post a Comment